1. What are the five groups of interacting
factors that the author thinks play a role in the collapse of historical
2. Give an example for each factor discussed
in question 1.
3. What has been the major difference
between societies that have survived for many hundreds of years
and those that have perished relatively suddenly? Give two examples.
4. The author says that we can learn
two straightforward lessens from history and two deeper lessons.
What are these lessons?
5. What are the painful reappraisals
the author thinks the people of the US must face this year? Do you
agree or disagree?
6. The author also states that he has
much hope and optimism for the US to avoid an historical
collapse. Why does he think so and do you agree or disagree?